Monday 15 June 2020

Moody Unicorns Meet the Reveal Wheel

Hello again everyone! I’ve got another fun, interactive card today featuring the Moody Unicorns from Gerda Steiner Designs.  I’ve paired them up with the Reveal Wheel from Lawn Fawn to create rainbow coloured unicorns.





I’ve got a YouTube video of how I made this card if you CLICK HERE.  The video is probably the easiest way to figure out how to make this card, because it’s really not that hard but writing out an explanation makes it seem so much harder!

I started by watercolouring a circle of watercolour paper in a rainbow pattern. I made sure the paper I used was slightly bigger than the reveal wheel circle die, and had lightly pencilled the center and six segments. You could also colour this with markers or pencil crayons of course.  I think it might be fun to even emboss some stars or hearts on this to show through. Once the paint was dry, I die cut the larger reveal wheel circle from this paper.

I had also die cut the small inner circle and the add on square pocket pieces out of white cardstock. You won’t need to use the “jigsaw” piece that goes with the reveal wheel, as the horns and manes will become the “reveal” part of this pocket. I used a small brad to attach the small inner circle to my rainbow circle.

Position the stamps with the reveal wheel in place on the front pocket piece.
(Remove the wheel before stamping)

On one of the square pocket fronts, I stamped two of the unicorns in copic friendly ink. You need to be sure that these unicorns fit onto the rainbow circle, so I find it easiest to place them on the circle in my stamp positioner and then align them on the pocket front with the wheel showing just above the notch on the pocket. Then I remove the rainbow wheel and stamp them onto my pocket front. I left the unicorns where they were in my stamp positioner, and placed some scrap acetate over the pocket front. Then I stamped the unicorns again, but this time with Stazon black ink. I had to stamp them 2 - 3 times to get a good impression. I trimmed the acetate around the images next.

Carefully cut out the horns and manes. 

After colouring in the unicorns on the pocket front ( don’t colour the horns or manes), I used a sharp craft knife to carefully cut away the horns and manes on both unicorns. Try to turn the cardstock as you cut, to get a cleaner line. Then I placed glue around the cut edges and adhered the pocket front to the acetate piece, carefully aligning the images.



Next I applied foam tape to the back of the small inner wheel and removed the backing. Then I lined up the rainbow wheel behind the unicorns on the pocket front, making sure that it covered the manes and horns and was still slightly above the notch. Holding the wheel in place, I lined up the notches on the front pocket piece to the back pocket square and adhered them down.


 I like to place foam tape under the notched wheel to keep it flat - I just don’t remove the backing from these tape pieces. The next step is to place foam tape around the edges of the back pocket and I like to add some glue to the tape to make it easier to align. Then carefully adhere the front square pocket to the back, making sure the notches and edges are lined up. Now you have the fun part of the card assembled!  Make sure you spin the wheel to make sure it moves freely, and well, just for the fun factor!

For the card front, I die cut some cloud borders and a few clouds. I did some rainbow ink blending and glued down the cloud borders. I actually cut the borders in half and used them just at the edges of the card where they would show around the reveal wheel pocket. I added foam tape to the back of the reveal wheel pocket and adhered it to the card front. I then stamped my sentiments onto a couple of die cut clouds and added this to the pocket front, along with a few other clouds. And that’s it! A fun card that was actually not that hard to make. I think it would be fun to make it so the bodies of the unicorns changed colour instead of the manes.



I hope you’re having a great day, and that you’ll give this card a try. I think there are just so many possibilities for this card with so many stamp sets!

No comments:

Post a Comment